Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Love Me Some Silhouette

 

So, I, like every other woman that has read any crafting sort of blog, became very envious of the Silhouette owners. I WANTED one, and I was pretty sure I NEEDED one. There were so many cool projects that I would just never be able to do. I had used a friend’s Cricut once...wasn’t too impressed. Sorry-not trying to dog the Cricut owners, but I wanted to be able to use my own fonts, and images, and I DEFINITELY didn’t want to have to buy a zillion cartridges.

Then at Thanksgiving, just about every blog and their dog’s blog was posting a Silhouette giveaway. I entered every.single.one. with every.single.possible.way. I lost track, but let me tell you I spent a whole Saturday trying to enter them all, and I had a chart to keep track, so I didn’t double enter. Yeah, I really wanted one.

Is it any surprise that I didn’t win, considering that every other woman wants one too? No, but I really had my hopes up. SO I begged my husband to get me one for Christmas. He said he had another idea. My husband isn’t the surprising type. When he says “he has another idea,” that means he really does have another idea, and you’re probably not going to get it.

Thanks to my in-laws who happened to be getting “the other idea” for us for Christmas, he was left with no other option but to get me the Silhouette. And oh, what a happy surprise it was.

I decided to bust out a vinyl project first.vinyl-bon appetit

I bought this platter at Wal-Mart in their post-Thanksgiving sales for around $6. I got online and looked at free fonts, and eventually came up with this one. I gotta be honest-this wasn’t the easiest first project, but it did help me to learn the workings of the Silhouette software better. I never did figure out how to do an accent on the top of the “e.” What I did was use an apostrophe, move it above the “e,” and then rotate it. I also cut off the bottom of the “p” because it was longer than I liked it.

It also took me a couple of cuts to get the settings on the machine right. Again, not the easiest first project. There are some REALLY thin cuts with this particular font. But I eventually got it all figured out, and am quite happy with the results.

This next project was MUCH easier. The hardest part was coming up with a font. Whenever you have guests over, people tend to get the trash/recycling confused, so why not label them? Easy peasy.

vinyl on trash cans

Please ignore my mis-matched trash cans. When I bought the first one on the right, we were in a small house and only had room for one trash can, so recycling piled up on the kitchen counter until we took it outside (ugh. I hate piles on the counter). Once we bought this house, I searched and searched for the same one to match. No such luck, they don’t make them anymore. The one on the left was the closest match I could find. Ideally I would just buy two new ones so they both match, but these suckers ain’t cheap. So there’s my story of the mismatched garbage cans.

Miss Silhouette is making all of my wildest dreams come true. Okay, not really, but I do love having her around. Next up is to try the new fabric interfacing. That opens some awesome new doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment